-->

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – August As Well As September

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – August As Well As September
The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – August As Well As September

The summertime proved to have two major events for Oliver Winterbottom, which nosotros covered inwards total on our blog previously. In today's entry, nosotros consider all that happens inwards the stitch to the Hinckley Classic Show in addition to Lotus' 70th Anniversary celebrations!


1 August – Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 long fourth dimension acquaintance from the Larling Angel brings a re-create of my volume to the Barnham Broom Bell for signature. Unusually, it was owned in addition to read past times a friend who has passed it on to a immature designer, in addition to it was for him that I signed it. All inwards practiced humour, although I don't desire likewise many books passed on, it affects sales!

Roger Kemp, Jaguar Drivers Club, sends the Hinckley Classic flyer to their Area 7 (Coventry area).

Nick Benton, Jaguar ex-apprentice, arranges for the Hinckley Classic flyer to live passed circular at their August monthly gathering. Although it was a long fourth dimension ago, many Jaguar ex-apprentices drib dead on inwards touching with each other.

2 August – TVR Car Club Office tell they accept forwarded my message to Ralph Dodds, its PR officer.

4 August – Amazon U.K. £24.37, 2 left; it was £37.50 on xiv July. Amazon USA $47.18, with 3 left. They had it at $41.19 on 22 June.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 contact with a fine lawsuit of a Lotus Elite, Richard Woollaston, is (flatteringly) constructing badges featuring my signature. Emails me to say:

"After a menstruum of messing nigh I accept at nowadays a 'final' proposal for the badges, both for the master copy Elite in addition to Eclat, in addition to the Excel. The badges volition live on a metallic element silvery background with night grey colouring. This colouring should suit most auto colours, in addition to it volition live printed leaving a narrow silvery boarder merely about the image. This size volition live 16.7cm w x 2.2cm h, in addition to thus that people can, if they wish, affix it within the oblong Elite/Eclat badge bezel.
"I'll volume my auto inwards for Hinckley; I meant to teach finally yr but dates clashed, in addition to thus hold off forrad to seeing y'all there. With whatever luck, I'll live able to convey a few badges along." 

I hold off forrad to it.

6 August – James Cox brings a volume for me to sign – all the agency from Inverness. It was a pleasance to grab upwardly on nearly 20 years – in addition to to sign it.

nine August – Two Jaguar books teach far from Veloce for my appraisal. This volition live a start for me!

Autocar magazine announces that Geely are to invest £1.5 billion inwards Lotus. This looks similar real practiced intelligence to me.

10 August – Lotus' 70th Anniversary website opens (despite contacting Lotus direct, I did non know of this website). My Club Lotus contact tells me the Lotus owners tickets are all sold out, almost instantly. Guest tickets from your Lotus Dealer soundless available. Note my bulletin entry from 23 July: Lotus PR Dept tell me that the details for the Lotus Festival are non yet formally announced but they volition allow me know when they are. (They didn't.)

eleven August – Lotus 70th Anniversary arrangements hard to find. I contact a issue of retired employees. We would similar some recognition of our part of the company's history. I await farther developments.

12 August – Create an advertising flyer for the Hinckley Classic Car Show to inform that I volition accept books for sale and/or signature. Propose to furnish this to my social club contacts later blessing past times Stuart Elliott a demonstrate organiser.

xiii August – Submit my start volume review of Jaguar From the Shop Floor by Brian Martin. I constitute this volume most interesting equally it describes the activities betwixt 1949 in addition to 1978. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 superb read from an odd viewpoint.

I consider that both Jaguar books supplied for my review accept total page advertisements for my book. Very much appreciated Veloce, thank y'all in addition to lets promise they sell a few!

Response from Stuart Elliott:

"The (Hinckley) flyer looks groovy in addition to hold off forrad to seeing y'all at the auto show; hopefully y'all volition sell a few books. I am on vacation side past times side week, in addition to thus I'm looking forrad to reading your volume whilst I am away.
"The guys from Retro Power inwards Wykin, Hinckley nosotros were talking to the other calendar week are interested inwards brining some cars which they accept ben working on, in addition to buying your volume at the same time."

xiv August – Circulate my Hinckley Classic Motor Show flyer to a broad gain of clubs. Hopefully it volition convey folk along to consider me in that location AND BUY Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 BOOK!



Veloce handgrip to publicise the event, thanks!

Jane Woollestone of Club Lotus agrees to release my Hinckley flyer on its website.



Roger Kemp of the Jaguar Drivers Club volition circulate the Hinckley flyer. Thanks Roger.

fifteen August – I submit my review of the minute Jaguar championship Veloce supplied, Jaguar E-Type Factory in addition to Private Competition Cars by Peter Griffiths.

xvi August – Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 quick banking concern check on Amazon U.K. shows the cost of my volume at £24.37 with eleven books inwards stock, the cost unchanged but ix to a greater extent than volume inwards stock since 4 August. We accept gained some other 5 star review with them. Amazon USA accept the cost at $48.60, $7.41 to a greater extent than expensive than 4 August in addition to soundless with 3 left.

Mike Kimberley, retired Lotus CEO, visits me at home. He tells me he has a blood brother living inwards Hinckley, in addition to volition advise he see my stand upwardly at the Classic Motorshow. We may accept met over twoscore years ago, but I dubiety I volition recognise him.

I demonstrate Mike the book, Jaguar From the Shop Floor by Brian Martin (Veloce). Mike remembered him, in addition to next my review, has ordered the book. This also follows my recommendation of it to Roger Kemp of the Jaguar Drivers Club.

17 August – Visit the Stratton Motor Company, my local Lotus dealer, attempting to teach a ticket to the Lotus 70th Anniversary celebration at Hethel. Failed! None left. They have, however, position me on their waiting listing for hereafter tickets, but warned the listing is real long!

21 August – Jane Woollestone of Club Lotus emails to tell that Group Lotus are sending me (and Mike Kimberly) VIP invitations to the Lotus 70th Anniversary celebrations at Hethel, 29 September. Very good done, Jane in addition to many, many thanks.

24 August – Good friend Terry says he volition come upwardly to Hinckley Classic Motorshow. The Hinckley Show in addition to Richard Woollaston of LotusExcel.net volition launch badges with my (how embarrassing!) scream on, suitable for Lotus Elite, Eclat in addition to Excel cars. I also notation that Angus Marshall has posted my recent flyer for Hinckley on the LotusExcel.net website. Thanks Angus.



25 August  – Amazon U.K. at nowadays accept 7 books inwards stock – thats 2 to a greater extent than gone since I finally looked on xvi August.

28 August – Various organisational events for Hinckley Classic Show getting sorted out. I believe inwards trying to drib dead on good ahead of the fourth dimension on a project!

29 August – Personal carry into Hinckley Classic Show arranged equally my vehicle, a 2015 Citroen Picasso 165hp is non yet a classic!

thirty August – Sadly, the TVR Car Club accept non responded to my asking to publicise both the Hinckley Classic Show or my volume on their website, despite sending 3 emails this month.

Open give-and-take with Club Lotus suggesting that I back upwardly the sale of my volume at the Lotus Anniversary 29 September.

31 August – My re-create of the weekly paper the Wymondham Mercury is delivered with he headline "We never dreamed Lotus would build 100,000 cars." Colin Chapman's widow, Hazel reviews the auto at her home. The car, a Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport was commissioned inwards retention of Jim Clark in addition to raffle tickets to win it are going on sale to assistance fund an expanded museum to the World Champion. yes, I accept bought a ticket, fingers crossed!

1 September – From LotusExcel.net website for the Hinckley Show: Update – in that location are at nowadays 2 Elites attending, i is mine in addition to i is a yellowish S1 I haven't come upwardly across earlier owned past times a gentleman called Colin. We volition both live parked inwards the marketplace foursquare nigh to Oliver Winterbottom's marketplace stall (!) – assuming we're in that location early on enough!
Looking forrad to seeing Oliver, coming together Colin in addition to seeing his car, in addition to to the effect itself.
There's soundless fourth dimension to volume upwardly to come upwardly along, I believe, although y'all won't teach on the marketplace foursquare now.  It should live a practiced twenty-four hr menstruum if the weather condition holds. Signed: Richard Woollaston.

Bourne Motor racing Club confirm the appointment for my talk. It volition live Th June xiii 2019. This adds to the utter to Club Lotus Avon already committed on Tuesday 5 March 2019.

3 September – Amazon U.K. accept the cost dorsum to £35.50 with 7 inwards stock.

4 September – Amazon U.K. non accept vi inwards stock!

Below is the start painting demonstrate of Richard Woollaston's Lotus Elite with my (embarrassing) signature badge behind the door.



5 September – All agreed with Club Lotus regarding the Lotus Anniversary arrangements. They volition handgrip a volume signing on its stand upwardly at the event. I accept at nowadays bought adhesive for the posters, a Marker pen for messages on the stand, in addition to an ingenious crimp away blade to assistance take the volume shrink wrapping. 

6 September – Today Amazon U.K. accept twelve inwards stock, thats 6 to a greater extent than than on 4 September.

Bad intelligence nigh the Club Lotus stand upwardly at the Lotus 70th Anniversary Day. No trade sales are permitted past times aid clubs, in addition to thus the programme to sell in addition to sign books is abandoned. 

8 September – Amazon U.K. at nowadays accept xiii inwards stock. Perhaps they constitute i or worse, had i returned!

12 September – Everything packed in addition to ready for the Hinckley Classic Car Show. Veloce arranged for a grand poster to live supplied – at nowadays elegantly rolled in addition to placed inwards a waterproof bag. Meanwhile I consider that Amazon U.K. accept reverted to a cost of £24.37 which it had i calendar month ago. There are at nowadays 7 reviews on its site, the latest a total 5 stars. 

xiv September – Delighted to consider my poster for the volume at the Hinckley Classic Show on the wall inwards the bar of the Heathcote Arms. Thanks Hannah in addition to Stuart. 

Me, Heathcote Arms bar in addition to volume poster

xvi September – I arrived at Hinckley Market Square at 9:30 inwards the morning. There were 800 addition vehicles filling the town centre. Two Lotus Elites graced the middle of the area, with the organisers gazebo alongside. I agreed to convey some of my books, a pen, in addition to a cheery grin – non certain nigh that – in addition to back upwardly this massive event. It is peradventure the largest town Classic demonstrate inwards the country. In advance, I had contacted diverse clubs. (Click here to read Oliver's total draw concern human relationship of the Hinckley Classic Show.)

My poster in addition to volume furnish inwards Hinckley Market Place


xix September – Amazon U.K. at nowadays accept 7 left – thats vi gone since the 8 September.

20 September – Finalise arrangements to display the volume at the Lotus 70th Anniversary at Hethel with Club Lotus.

Daughter Jane collects 2 books for friends.

21 September – Long fourth dimension colleague in addition to friend, Clive Roberts, contacts me to monastic tell a re-create of my volume – he is inwards it! As he lives inwards far off Thailand inwards a warm in addition to happy retirement, I conform for it to live ship from Club Lotus.

22 September – The postman delivered my VIP ticket to the Lotus 70th Anniversary celebration at Hethel. Much appreciated.

24 September – Jane at Club Lotus agrees to advertise the availability of signed copies of the volume on the social club website – in addition to she does (see below).



26 September – Visit Club Lotus inwards East Dereham to sign Clive Roberts' volume in addition to deliver the poster in addition to sample volume for the Lotus 70th Anniversary.

28 September – Invited to live interviewed at the Lotus 70th Anniversary in addition to agree.

29 September – I teach far at the Lotus 70th Anniversary celebration equally a privileged VIP guest. Club Lotus accept the volume on display in addition to Jane Woollestone is taking advanced orders. She ends the twenty-four hr menstruum with viii sold. The whole effect is a huge success, in addition to I deal to advertise the volume inwards an interview broadcast to the whole effect addition streamed on the internet. Well done, in addition to many thank y'all to Jane in addition to Club Lotus.

My volume on the Club Lotus stand

You tin give the axe purchase your ain re-create of A Life inwards Car Design here, in addition to brand certain to drib dead on checking the Veloce blog for the side past times side instalment of Winterbottom's diary!



Advertisement