-->

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – May, June Together With July

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – May, June Together With July
The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – May, June Together With July

With the summertime exhibit flavor but beginning, things are picking upwards for Oliver Winterbottom. In today's spider web log post, we'll larn y'all correct upwards to speed with what he's been upwards to of late. 

2 May – Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland at nowadays stimulate got half dozen books (more coming), so thats iv gone since xix April.

4 May – I attend the dignified Service of Thanksgiving for John Miles at Hingham Church, Norfolk. Very sadly missed. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 privilege to stimulate got known together with worked with him. He had the unusual trait of existence totally non-political. This was a risk to tell cheerio together with to pick out handgrip of upwards with many onetime Lotus faces.

5 May – Complete the slides together with text notes for talks for the Bourne Motor Racing Club together with the North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club. No dates yet, but at to the lowest degree they are done!

vii May – Rob Ford from Club Lotus Avon opens give-and-take on my giving the gild a utter inwards 2019. Happy to attain so! Date existence planned.

8 May – Meet an ex-Jaguar apprentice (10 years later on me!), inwards my sister's local pub. He brought upwards so many names from those days that I had long forgotten. He was with an acquaintance who would convey his re-create of my mass for signature the next evening.

nine May – After a fascinating see to Bletchley Park with my sister, I am myself with a signing pen. The gentleman arrived inwards the pub, but the mass did non – it was elsewhere! OK, adjacent fourth dimension perhaps.

10 May – Arrange to give Club Lotus Avon a utter adjacent year. Tuesday, 5 March 2019 appointment agreed.

eleven May – The firstly edition of Absolute Lotus magazine arrives through my postbox. Richard Heseltine has done me (and Veloce) proud! Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 hollo on the front end cover, so inwards the Editorial, availability of the mass inwards the "book & model" section, together with so iv pages with pictures of an in-depth interview. I wishing this beautifully produced publication the real best acceptance.

Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland stimulate got at nowadays re-priced the mass again. It's gone downwards to £24.37.

xv May – Veloce monthly newsletter On The Grid informs that at that topographic point are 2 novel Jaguar books. Jaguar from the store flooring – Foleshill Road together with Browns Lane 1949 to 1978 by Brian James Martin, together with Jaguar E-type Factory together with Private Competition Cars by Peter Griffiths. Both are of keen involvement to me. I don't seem to hollo back Brian Martin although nosotros were inwards the same house at the same time! I programme to larn these inwards due course.

eighteen May – An onetime colleague together with friend, John, who lives inwards France, tells me he is buying the book. I await whatever (useful!) comments.

21 May – Another "free read" advertised on the cyberspace past times a dissimilar website to the 2 previous offers. I alarm Veloce. Kevin Atkins at Veloce responds (edited below):
"The download doesn't comprise a PDF, but a file inwards Apple Pages format, with a charge of blurb together with buttons to lure y'all into clicking. As is common inwards these instances, I've submitted a DMCA take-down request, both to the WordPress site's author, together with to WordPress themselves."

24 May – I similar having an cyberspace search for my mass equally it turns upwards all over the world. Today I stimulate got establish it inwards Windsor (UK) Public Library together with Toronto Public Library. On sale inwards Sydney Australia, New Zealand, Hamburg Germany, Singapore, together with Galway Ireland. I attain promise everyone enjoys it around the world. Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland stimulate got sold some other one, so that's v inwards stock.

29 May – My immature lady Jane tells me she met 2 gentlemen lastly weekend who would similar me to sign copies of the mass for them. While non telling me who they are, she is organising it.

Stacey at the Barnham Broom Bell pub intends to purchase the book. She says that Amazon stimulate got it at £24.37, but desire coin for shipping. Seems 1 needs to live lucky when using this source, equally the toll seems variable.

xxx May – I see Ketteringham Hall, the scene of happy days years agone inwards my early on fourth dimension at Lotus. These days, at that topographic point is a tearoom overlooking the lake. I met someone whom I didn't hollo back but remembered me (this happens far besides often). We had a practiced chat almost onetime times, together with he says he volition larn my book.

31 May – Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland at nowadays stimulate got the toll dorsum at £37.50. I promise Stacey has brought hers at the toll advertised on 29 May.

1 June – Daughter Jane identifies her 2 gentlemen equally the chaps nosotros met at Snetterton lastly September (see May 29).

4 June – Set out to crusade to Dijon Prenois for the Grand Prix De L'Age D'Or historic races. Take a duet of novel books but attain non notice whatever buyers.

8 June – Nice to run into upwards with an onetime favourite – Lotus Europa Twin Cam special, exterior Chateauneuf en Auxois Chateau. I had forgotten how depression slung they are! Photo courtesy of my sister.



nine June – Meet Tony Poll, British Lotus possessor at the Club Lotus French Republic classic auto stand upwards at Dijon. Sadly, I failed to run into upwards with Venice Thiebolt from the club. I signed a re-create of my mass for him lastly year. Although I had a duet of novel copies with me, I did non larn to sell them.

12 June – Met upwards with John Elwin inwards Montreal sur Mer. He is at nowadays a French resident, but ex-Lotus Cars together with Team Lotus. He brings his re-create of my mass for signature, happily given! He gives me the tidings that the Lotus CEO has moved on.

thirteen June – Met upwards with Stuart Elliott at the Heathcote Arms for to a greater extent than information on the Hinckley Classic Motorshow (16 September) at which I may stimulate got a booth to sign books. Lotus together with TVR most welcome.

xvi June – My immature lady Anne tells me that a 1970s Lotus Elite starred at the Sheringham Classic Car & Bike show. Seen hither exterior The Lobster pub.



eighteen June – Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland stimulate got changed the mass toll again, its at nowadays downwards to £24.37. They tell they stimulate got 3 left inwards stock, so thats at to the lowest degree 3 gone inwards the lastly month. Keep it up, chaps!

20 June – Contact diverse Lotus together with TVR Clubs to guess back upwards for the Hinckley Classic Motorshow. LotusExcel.net post it on the web, immediately.

22 June – Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland £24.37 together with stimulate got half dozen inwards stock (so assume they stimulate got restocked since eighteen June). Amazon USA $41.19 with 2 inwards stock. Amazon Nippon Yen 3368, it was Yen 3459 on thirteen February.

24 June – Club Lotus stimulate got listed the Hinckley Motorshow on their website; give thank y'all you. Nothing on the forthcoming events page of the TVR Car Club equally yet.

25 June – I am a invitee at the East Anglian Lotus Club barbecue at the White Hart Inn, Roydon close Diss, Norfolk. I relish picking the winner of "The Car I Wish to Take Home." It was real difficult, equally the character of cars tending was real high. I selected a beautiful ruby-red Lotus Esprit S4S. I was delighted to sign 3 books together with had practiced feedback from those who had read it. Thank y'all Ben Needham together with the EALC.



3 July – My publisher, Veloce creates a monthly newsletter On The Grid. This is primarily to notify subscribers of the latest releases. They also let on my Book Diaries, together with this month's edition celebrates thus:



4 July – I have a issue of warm messages regarding my book's firstly birthday. Thanks, appreciated.

"Young" Ken Evans, ex-Lotus visits for a mass signature. He also brings a re-create belonging to John Freeman, also ex-Lotus together with Topelec for signature. Had a practiced chat catching upwards on past times times.

I was unhappy to remove heed that Ken had visited the local bookstore who did non stimulate got or recognise the book. I had spent an afternoon there, less than a twelvemonth ago, to promote together with sign books. I am a local author, later on all. I volition speak to them upon my render from the TVR weekend.

6 July – I brand it at Unchurch equally a invitee of the TVR Big Bad Wedge Fest 2018. This is an annual gathering of TVRs that I designed, together with it is a keen privilege for me to live invited.

vii July – Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 keen convoy of TVRs crusade to Rockingham Motor Speedway at Corby. They are at that topographic point to back upwards The Children's Trust, a leading charity for children with encephalon injuries. All the cars larn into the paddock together with common inwards the centre. The twenty-four lx minutes catamenia is supported past times many families with children, who tin pay to stimulate got runway rides. I pick out a issue of mass advertising flyers which larn circulated. In the evening, I start circulating flyers for the Hinckley Classic Motorshow. I was pleased to remove heed some folk had already heard of it.

The greenish coupe was a stunning colour, inwards my humble opinion.


8 July – The TVR's get together at the Church End Brewery, Nuneaton. This ex-Village Hall emerged equally a venue inwards which my belatedly married adult woman together with I had catered for a marriage ceremony inwards 1969! Now a fine microbrewery, nosotros had a practiced tiffin together with fascinating manufacturing flora tour. Some sort ladies distributed all the remaining Hinckley adverts to the tending cars. The brewery honoured my presence with a beer named Winterbottom's Revenge! Thanks to all at the TVR Big Bad Wedge Fest!

eleven July – I see Ketts Books inwards Wymondham to empathize why Ken Evans (see 4 July) was unable to larn my book. The staff were most apologetic, explaining it was belike 1 novel recruit who did non know of the book. They stimulate got assured me they stimulate got practiced relations with Veloce together with tin larn the mass speedily when requested.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 quick search on the cyberspace shows that Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland stimulate got the mass at £31.68 with iv left inwards stock – to a greater extent than coming. Among their unusual outlets, Amazon French Republic stimulate got it at €33.80, Amazon Deutschland €34.01, Italy €38.90, Amazon Nippon 4695 Yen (it was 3470 Yen on 23 March!) together with Amazon Brazil R$136.69.

Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland stimulate got some other client review. It criticises the lack of DeLorean information. As the mass explains on page 98, "I was non involved inwards the DeLorean project" and, indeed, non fifty-fifty at Lotus when most of it was done. It also suggests at that topographic point are besides many persons' names used, but I don't know how to avoid that.

xiv July – Enjoying dinner with my family, at the Wrenningham Bird inwards Hand, when the conversation turns to the writer Sir Ryder Haggard, a Norfolk domiciled man. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 lady, dining on her own, comes over to tell us she has a issue of his (very valuable) firstly editions, which she volition move out to Norwich Library. I tell her I stimulate got my ain firstly edition of my mass together with that a re-create is inwards Norwich Library. After giving her details, she tells me she knows Sir John Egan. I explained that I left Jaguar, a society that Sir John saved from closure, 10 years earlier he became its Chief Executive. Naturally, I recommend my mass to him – at nowadays I must read his book, Saving Jaguar.

Interestingly, Amazon United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland of Britain together with Northern Republic of Ireland has at nowadays pose the toll upwards to the publishers toll of £37.50. It seems to vary considerably, making purchases from them a combat of a lottery!

17 July – Phil "Nobby" Clarke (Barnham Broom Bell customer), who restores onetime caravans, bought my mass together with brought it for signature on 23 February. He tells me he has read but plenty to move out it opened upwards nether his dining tabular array leg to halt it wobbling. Thanks Nobby!

eighteen July – I larn to remove heed that at that topographic point is to live a 70th Anniversary Festival at Lotus, Hethel on 29 September. I tin larn no details; nil on the society website at this stage. I contact Lotus for details.

Message from Richard Wollaston, a Lotus Elite possessor who wishes to pose my hollo on his car! On a trip to the Austrian Grand Prix:
"PS I should stimulate got mentioned inwards my e-mail of yesterday that at that topographic point was a lot of interes on the Elite, together with admiration for its pattern during my trip. I bumped into a retired airline airplane pilot inwards Grand Duchy of Luxembourg who said it embodied the futuristic spirit of the 70s – I think he got it spot on. There sure seems to live growing admiration for the wedge designs these days, fifty-fifty with Lotus traditionalists." 
Thanks Richard, its keen to larn recognition.

xix July – Angus Marshall of LotusExcel.net advise the NEC Classic Car Show inwards Nov should live an chance to celebrate Lotus First seventy Years. Mike Kimberly together with I handgrip together with consider supporting it.

22 July – Walk into the Barnham Broom Bell to notice an elderly duet relaxing inwards the bar. The gentleman used to move at Lotus inwards Powertrain together with Quality, but retired a long fourth dimension ago. Using my promotion nonetheless on display, I could explicate my mass together with confirm that Jerrold's bookshop inwards Norwich should stimulate got a copy.

23 July – Lotus PR Dept tell me that the details for the Lotus Festival are non yet formally announced, but they volition permit me know when they are.

25 July – Emailed the TVR Car Club advising them of the Hinckley Classic Car Show together with my book. It would live prissy if they could pose my mass inwards the online gild shop.

28 July – Weekend spent with my sis close Hinckley, so took the chance of checking out the location for the September Classic Car Show. Saw Stuart Elliot together with discussed the auto show. He volition render a kiosk together with tin store books for sale inwards the kick of his MG at the display. I must larn lastly plans inwards place!

xxx July – Contacted Jaguar ex-apprentice together with a JDC contact almost the Hinckley Show.

You can purchase your ain re-create of A Life inwards Car Design here, together with brand sure to keep checking the Veloce spider web log for the next instalment of Winterbottom's diary!


Advertisement