-->

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – December, January Too February

The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – December, January Too February
The Oliver Winterbottom Diaries – December, January Too February

It's been quite a spell since nosotros final heard from Oliver, writer of, A Life in Car Design. However, Oliver has notwithstanding been vigilant inwards keeping rail of all he does, so let's pick out handgrip of upward amongst him ... 


2 December – Find speedreaders.info (USA) online review, which is really positive.

4 December – The Jaguar ex-Apprentice newsletter arrives. They take hold done me proud nether 'Things to pose on your Christmas list.' Many cheers Mr Benton.

5 December – Travel to Old Sudbury, Gloucestershire as well as give a utter on the mass to Club Lotus Avon at The Bull, inwards Hinton. The venue was total to capacity, plus a brace of standing audience. Sign at to the lowest degree half dozen books, as well as a really practiced pub! My cheers to Rob Ford for organising it.



11 December – Doug Weal of North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club contacts me regarding giving a utter for them adjacent March or April. He says at that spot would endure a wide-based audience, so I propose adding a TVR slide to the presentation.

Meet Andrew Walmsley at Barnham Broom Bell as well as sign a mass – the minute he has done – for a Christmas gift. 

13 December – Brian Llewellyn electronic mail RE:contact.
'Hello Oliver, I forwarded your alphabetic lineament to a friend of mine ... Shaun Beadsworth. He emailed dorsum maxim "You never told me you're a friend of Oliver Winterbottom?!" I cry upward visiting Hethel amongst my Dad when he had a task there, non long later on Colin Chapman had passed away. I would endure really pleased if you lot could organise a mass ... ' 
I explained how to purchase from the publisher. 

14 December – Travel to Bourne, Lincolnshire for the Bourne Motor Racing Club BRM Evening. I create do to distribute a number of mass leaflets. John Sismey, ex-BRM engineer tells me he enjoyed reading my book. My one-time buddy Dick Salmon (ex-BRM as well as Lotus) was busy singing his re-printed book. I had a really practiced dinner at the Nags Head (owned past times my great, great, grandparents inwards the 1890s) as well as stayed at The Angel. 

24 December – While enjoying a pint of Tiger at the Heathcote Arms, Croft, Leicestershire amongst a gentleman who organises the Hinckley Concours each summer, he wished to purchase the mass at that spot as well as then! Sadly, I had none amongst me, so here's hoping he tin give notice instruct 1 elsewhere.

31 December – I demand to begin thinking nigh how to growth promoting this wonderful mass inwards 2018! Wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2018


4 January – Kevin Atkins of Veloce sends a lawsuit 'book flyer' design. I approve the minute option, as well as enquire for a nipper alter on the right manus side inwards guild to growth the acquit on of the mass cover. Result below:



5 January – Sign a mass for Jonathan who volition endure moving into the one-time Team Lotus race workshops at Kettering Hall inwards February. They take hold been converted into modern offices. I likewise pick out some history of the Team at the Hall, which he may utilization to decorate it. 

8 January – Print Veloce flyer – looks practiced to me! Barnham Broom Bell pose 1 on display. 

9 January – Amazon Federal Republic of Federal Republic of Germany client review (Google translated): 
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 life for the automobile led Oliver Winterbottom inwards many unlike companies as well as countries of the world. It was the want of the immature Oliver reality to pick out tending of the pattern of automobiles. From fourth dimension to fourth dimension some of the side country of war scenes likewise played a role, which he filled amongst merely equally much devotion. The biography is a peachy as well as interesting journeying through the history of the automobile, especially English, of course. Most of the lines are really entertaining as well as you lot almost experience similar talking straight to Winterbottom. In addition, some barely published drawings as well as pictures are shown, which underline the run amongst emphasis. Again as well as again, the people merely about him are presented as well as the fiscal province of affairs is assessed.
For the equivalent of merely over xl euros, the reader tin give notice go through the past times amongst Winterbottom as well as clearly sympathise his means of doing business. The working life of the automotive designer provides a peachy template for a mass as well as is really worth reading, especially since it is e'er first-hand information, which makes it all the to a greater extent than valuable. 

Deliver ii Veloce flyers to Hethersett Queens Head. Eye-catching display amongst 1 inwards the entrance lobby. 

11 January – Friend as well as ex-Lotus colleague John Elwin has a possible contact amongst Club Team Lotus Kingdom of Belgium for the book. 

Jonathan, a friend inwards Barnham Broom Bell, reading my mass tells me he specially liked my pattern for the Jaguar E Type 2+2. It dates from 1968, so I take hold nearly forgotten it!

15 January – Richard Bond (Hethersett Queens Head) reports the re-create of my mass he gifted inwards Nov was enjoyed immensely. 

17 January – Doug Weal of North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club contacts to country probable fourth dimension for me to give a utter would endure belatedly this year. I shipping my diary for September as well as October, equally it currently stands.

18 January – John Elwin, ex-Lotus, Team Lotus, as well as at 1 time a journalist living inwards France, enters my mass on the Ten Tenths Motorsport website. Post generates a fair chip of interest!:
Anyone interested inwards Britain's sports machine manufacture volition uncovering Oliver Winterbottom's biography A Life in Car Design a fascinating read. Oliver's career began equally a Jaguar apprentice inwards the 1960s, where he graduated to the drawing office. From at that spot he moved to Lotus, where he was responsible for pattern of the Elite/Eclat range. He was to render to Lotus (more than once!) but later on that he was responsible for the wedge-era TVR's, followed past times spells inwards the the States as well as China. 

Contact Club Team Lotus Kingdom of Belgium as well as offering to give a presentation on my career as well as mass if they would similar me to. 

19 January – Contacted past times Only Motors TV amongst regards to potentially do a profile on me for their show, #Petrolheads.
"#Petrolheads is 1 of our most views programmes, amongst an average viewership of 1 1000000 per month, it is a one-half an hr demo on an private amongst a personal history as well as interesting floor merely about their beloved as well as utilization of motors as well as would flow on our Only Motors TV site." 

22 January – Only Motors TV confirm they await to contact amongst dates merely about the goal of February. 

24 January – Sign a re-create of my mass for Stuart at The Heathcote Arms, Croft, Leicestershire. Stuart Elliot is a leading organiser of the Hinckley annual Classic Car Show which at 1 time fills the town amongst interesting vehicles. This years resultant is on sun sixteen September.

26 January – Tom Willis (Barnham Broom Bell) says he volition pick out a re-create of the mass for signature. He has connections amongst Mick McIsaac who features inwards the mass equally a superb pattern as well as model maker. 

27 January – Surprise, surprise – Amazon advertise the mass for its published toll of £37.50 amongst fourteen inwards stock as well as (more on the way) – That may endure a "First"!

29 January – Tom Willis brings mass for signature which he volition gift to Mick McIsaac.

30 January – Amazon electronic mail me offering my mass to myself. Full published toll but at 1 time solely thirteen inwards stock (more on the way). So thats some other 1 gone!

2 February – Find a site on Google offering a download of my book. As I am concerned this may endure breaching copyright, I contact Veloce who answer quickly: The explicate that this is a really mutual scam of the 'phishing' diverseness – an effort to gain personal details. Sometimes it's solely to gain an electronic mail (for spamming), but such sites require that you lot 'sign up' or login (as this 1 does), as well as volition as well as so unremarkably enquire for credit or payment details for 'security.' This is unremarkably what the scammer is ultimately later on ... Fortunately for us, the site is hosted past times Google, using it's 'Sites' features. Google Sites gives companies a quick as well as slow means to create a spider web presence – as well as a quick means for scammers to attempt as well as fool people. However, because it's a Google Site, the options for reporting as well as flagging issues are top notch, so I've filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act complaint, straight amongst Google. 

The whole trouble concern reinforces my see that the cyberspace is a totally uncontrolled system. No 1 knows who says what/where/when! Half of the information available is fictitious as well as unsubstantiated. That's what I think!

3 February – The Google site offering a download on the mass has been removed from the cyberspace past times 11am this morning. 

4 February – Although Google take hold removed the "download" facility, they notwithstanding are on the cyberspace amongst a "box" cite as well as a website offering a preview of my book. I am non really happy as well as take hold sent my thoughts to Veloce for comment. My thoughts are: In my thought the preview is excessive. To demo the offset 3 chapters absolutely consummate with illustrations is means beyond what I would telephone yell upward a preview. Veloce take hold responded that this is non odd as well as indeed, inwards a bookshop 1 tin give notice browse the whole book. In addition, the Google website has a number of wrong items of information. Veloce explained that this is non odd as well as uncertainty it would do whatever harm. I volition thus take hold the position. 

6 February – Get a squeamish electronic mail from Amazon offering me my mass at £24.37. Seems to take hold been reduced 1 time again since 27 January!

7 February – So a Tesla electrical sports machine is launched into space. By my reckoning, that actually makes Lotus the offset machine inwards space, equally the Tesla was based on the Elise as well as built past times Lotus. Where volition my one-time projects goal up? Mars?

9 February – Amazon electronic mail me to offering the mass at £21.91 amongst gratis delivery. Such a squeamish globe the cyberspace has brought. 

10 February – Yet some other website offering gratis download of the book. Forwarded to Veloce (again!)

12 February – Reply: Once Google take hold been informed of 1 infringement, its algorithms volition cry upward the 'issue' as well as proceed an optic opened upward for similar scams, alerting Google's operatives (yes, they notwithstanding take hold actual people working for them) to banking company stand upward for them. This is unremarkably all that's needed, as well as whilst Google isn't the solely search provider, it is the biggest, as well as many others follow its Pb inwards malware as well as intellectual rights issues. If you lot see the URL you lot final sent, for example, you'll encounter that it's already gone ... 

So at 1 time I demand to proceed calm!

13 February – Amazon electronic mail me 1 time again offering my mass to me for £21.91.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 search on the cyberspace shows Amazon Nippon offering the mass for 3459 Yen, Amazon Italy as well as Amazon Brazil likewise advertising it. Hopefully this volition sell a few.         

16 February – Amazon patently upset that I haven't bought my mass from them. Emailed me 1 time again today amongst the toll £21.91.

23 February – Phil Clarke (Barnham Broom Bell customer) who restores one-time caravans has bought my mass as well as volition pick out it for a signature inwards the evening. 

Visit my podiatrist who was aware of my local radio demo final yr as well as knows some people at Lotus. Suggested she as well as equally many others should instruct a re-create of my book, as well as I volition sign at my adjacent appointment. 

25 February – Enjoying a pint of Tiger inwards my sister's local pub as well as utter over amongst Stuart Elliot the possibility attention the Hinckley Classic Car Show (Sunday sixteen September) amongst a mass signing. Will definitely see this. 

26 February – Staying amongst my sis who has friends for dinner. I sign ii copies of my book.

You tin give notice purchase your ain re-create of A Life inwards Car Design here, as well as brand certain to banking company stand upward for dorsum on the Veloce weblog for the adjacent instalment! 

                                                     

Advertisement